Remove Malware and Virusses from an Infected Prestashop Website
Platforms like Magento and Prestashop have made it very easy for merchants to create and set up ecommerce sites. Because of the popularity of ecommerce, Prestashop sites are constantly being targeted by hackers and malware. A hack or malware is the last thing you want on your ecommerce site; one attack can destroy your business. In the event that your ecommerce site has been hacked, here is how to resolve a malware infected Prestashop site:
Dealing with Prestashop malware
The first part in dealing with malware on any website is to identify if the website is infected or not. Detecting a malware can give you clues and ideas to the location of the attack and assist you in dealing with it. Here are some signs that you can watch out for on an infected Prestashop site:
- Malware warnings by Google and your security software.
- Customer complaints about weird credit card activity.
- Lost sales or abnormal checkout page behavior.
- Spam in product listings.
Getting rid of Malware on Prestashop
There are a number of ways of removing malware from a website, most of the steps described below are generic and will apply to the majority of malware found on any website. However, some malware may require specific technics to remove completely. The following are some of the important steps you need to take to resolve a malware infected site:
Reinitialize your passwords
If you suspect that you have malware on your site, the first and most important thing to do is to change ALL of your website related passwords. This includes your cpanel password, FTP account password, and user passwords. Any password liked or related to your website should be changed and replaced by strong and unique passwords. GoDaddy has a guide on creating strong passwords.
Cleaning a malware infected Prestashop manually
To resolve a malware infected Prestashop manually:
- The first thing you should do is to change all of your login passwords related to your Prestashop site. Refer to the above procedure if you have no idea how to go about it.
- Make sure that you have an excellent and up to date antivirus on your computer
- Download your Prestashop and unzip the contents. You can do it here
- Use ftp to download your production shop and allow your antivirus to check your files. It will catch any problem files.
- Perfom a manual check of your files, you can compare with a trusted copy of your version of Prestashop.
- Note and remove any suspicious files.
- Use a clean copy of Prestashop to replace suspect files.
Get rid of the malware using tools
Most malware can be removed manually but if you do not know the malware affecting you or where to find its files this can be a problem. Fortunately, there are a number of trusted scripts and software that can be used to scan your website, detect and remove malware. Wedetect.it is one of the easiest malware removing solution to use for both experienced webmasters and the not so experienced. The code scans and detects malware on your site and you have an option to get the website cleaned off all malware. The cleaning process takes about 24hrs. Users then have an option to have their website monitored 24/7 for any possible threats.